Monday, October 16, 2006


Gosh, so much has happened in the past month! But then a month is a long time, so what can one expect? No, I'm not pregnant. At least, not that I'm aware of...Robert and I bought a house! Yes, yes, our very first house! Can you believe it? I am still reeling. I can't believe someone sold us a house! Ha. It is a beautiful old, ranch-style house. Built in 1950. Three bedrooms, one bath, nice roomy kitchen, HUGE master bedroom, a nice utility room, a two-car detached garage, big yard. Lots of big trees. It's amazing. I wanted to post all about it last month before we closed, but I didn't want to jinx us. I know, silly. But it's ours now. And now we're broke. It is a big beautiful house, with a big mortgage, but it's totally worth it. It is far from where I work, but you just can't get houses like this in the Clear Lake area of Houston.

We moved in in a hurry. In one weekend, as a matter of fact. It was madness, but we did it. Thanks to a very close friend of mine, who helped a ton. It was hard with Sofia trying to get into everything as we packed, moved, and cleaned.

The weekend we moved, I started my period. My first period in about two years. I went through this insane depression, and I felt a little crazy with the move and all. I kept asking myself if we were doing the right thing, I was all weepy and stressed. Then I did a little research on the trusty ol' internet and found that it's common to go through that when weaning your baby from the breast. Sofia's feedings are not happening very often anymore, and my body's hormones were just going crazy. I was a MESS. Thankfully, the insanity didn't last. I think my hormones started balancing out a few days later. But it was awful. I had no idea this happened to women. Any other breastfeeding mommies out there who had this happen?

So, yeah, the commute is very long and ugly. Sofia's daycare is a good distance from the house too, closer to where I work. But I'm not too keen on taking her out of the daycare that we've gotten used to, so we're planning on keeping her there as long as we can. It takes me about an hour to get to work if I take Sofia to daycare. If I don't, it takes me about 45 min. And I pick her up everyday. It's rough when she falls asleep in the car on the way home. Although it makes for a peaceful drive, it's rough at night trying to get her to bed. We're getting used to things. My drive today was AWFUL. My drive home, that is. Mother nature decided to pour buckets of rain on Houston today, and I made the mistake of going into work. Getting home today was a three-hour ordeal. Yes, three hours. Two of those hours were spent trying to make my way to Sofia's daycare. Usually about a twenty-minute drive. So yes, it was bad, but I am thankful I was not one of the many cars I saw stuck in the high water on the road. Scary. I am very happy Sofia and I made it home safely.

Sofia is a little princess. She has not stopped saying "mama" since she first said it. And it still sounds amazing. Her hair is getting long and curly. She keeps me focused. And tired. Speaking of tired...I think my bed is calling me. I miss the blogosphere.


At 4:17 PM, Blogger Sabrina said...

It's good to see an update! My dh drives 45 minutes from our house to work and hates it. We plan on moving though eventually near where he works.

Congrats on the new house!

At 2:30 PM, Blogger kelly said...

Congratulations on the house! Unfortunately the commute sounds like one of those compromises in order to move into your own home. About weaning - we're down to once a day now (some days not at all) and I did notice a hormonal shift initially which was probably PMS but I'd been so long without it that I thought that I was going crazy again. Things seem to be ok now but I don't ever expect to have control over my psyche every again. Sanity went away with my smooth stomach.


Post a Comment

<< Home